Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Adding to the Kingdom

When I was preparing to come to Thailand, I am not really sure I knew what to expect [don't take that the wrong way, its been great since I have been here]. But, ministry wise, I have not really had too much personal experience in giving my life to other girls. Since I have been here, I have been able to see the rewards and challenges that come with sharing my life with other people. Not only have I been able to learn from and grow with Sano and Stephanie, but I have been able to walk along side of the Christian girls that have been involved with the ministry for a few years. These girls have so much dedication to Campus Outreach and to their walks with Christ. They have been such an encouragement to me.

While I love to learn from these girls, I have definitely faced some challenges of my own. There are definitely challenges that I face here in Thailand that I never could imagine facing in the States. But they are challenges that I am willing to take and conquer. I have faced a couple days where I have struggled to find the joy and willingness to go on campus and meet new people, as well as spending time alone in the Word. However, there is a Thai phrase that we have learned that I have continually had to repeat to myself and have others say to me. "Soo-Soo" in Thai means "Fight Fight." [When girls hold up what we call a peace sign, for them it represents this phrase]. Even though the Thai's say this with out having any kind of biblical knowledge, I find it so easy to relate to Biblical principles. 2 Timothy 4:7 says "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." Each and every day, I
am constantly seeking the Lord's strength, joy, peace, patience and love. And I know that He is faithful.

To go back to the girls that are Christians involved in the ministry. We got to experience the coolest most humbling church service on Sunday. This Sunday was "Baptism Sunday." There was a group of 11 students and one older gentleman that got baptized! It was so cool to see each of the students be washed by the water and outwardly show their commitment to the Lord. What I loved most about the afternoon was seeing an older gentleman probably about 60+ years old kneel down in the water and completely surrender his life to the Lord. [Just a quick background about the Buddhist culture... Men are expected to become monks at some point in their life, even if its only for 3 days, they believe that if they do this their mother will be able to go to heaven.] My only thought about this man was "I wonder how long he lived his life serving Buddha, and how sweet the rest of his days will be serving the Lord."
What a blessing it was to be able to see so many people perform the "outward sign of the inward reality of regeneration.":)

On a lighter note, this tuesday night Stephanie, Sano and I went to the Karaoke place with some of the upperclassmen students. It was the weirdest Karaoke place ever. Each group goes into their own room and you get to pick your own songs from a book that is full of Thai songs with very few recognizable English songs. It was definitely fun, but very different!!! We definitely enjoyed ourselves!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment